“We want to create a platform to show creative new furniture designs that are still practical for use in the average American home.”
Coleman Furniture, a pioneer in the online furniture market, has announced an innovative new scholarship program for furniture design students. The 2017 Coleman Furniture Student Design Scholarship will not only award a $1,500 cash prize to one winner, that student will also have the opportunity to see his or her design come to life as a production item available to the public.
- A cover letter explaining your design experience and future career plans
- A letter of sponsorship from a current teacher or professor
- One (1) design submission in the scholarship focus category, including 3 hero shots, dimensions, and a description of manufacture
Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please fill out the application for at http://colemanfurniture.com/scholarship/application and upload your design. Incomplete applications will not be considered. This award is open to any student of design who is a legal resident of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. Limit one application per individual. Any design that shows a clear indication of copying or plagiarism will be disqualified.
All applications will be considered according to the following criteria:
- Design creativity
- Ability of the design to be produced for the general market
- Design marketability
- Thoughtfulness and clarity of application letter
Applications are due no later than July 31, 2017. Winners will be announced on September 19, 2017. The winning design will be produced by TOV Furniture, with the duration and scale of the production run to be determined. The winner is expected to grant a license to produce the design to TOV Furniture and Coleman Furniture for no less than 5 years.